F H card letter b

Friday, July 29, 2005

I can scarcely wait till tomorrow







Poet Laureate, Pulitzer Prize; Bollingen; National Book Award winner, Stanley Kunitz is 100 today.







The Round

Light splashed this morning
on the shell-pink anemones
swaying on their tall stems;
down blue-spiked veronica
light flowed in rivulets
over the humps of the honeybees;
this morning I saw light kiss
the silk of the roses
in their second flowering,
my late bloomers
flushed with their brandy.
A curious gladness shook me.
So I have shut the doors of my house,
so I have trudged downstairs to my cell,
so I am sitting in semi-dark
hunched over my desk
with nothing for a view
to tempt me
but a bloated compost heap,
steamy old stinkpile,
under my window;
and I pick my notebook up
and I start to read aloud
the still-wet words I scribbled
on the blotted page:
"Light splashed . . ."

I can scarcely wait till tomorrow
when a new life begins for me,
as it does each day,
as it does each day.
Photo and poem from "The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden," a book I especially commend to the attention of people who think they don't like poetry.

No comments: