F H card letter b

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Last telegram sent back in January STOP Passing goes virtually unnoticed STOP

I used to play a game when I was a kid; making exactly 10 word sentences punctuated by STOPS.

Telegram, we called it. I was listening to the weekly TWiT podcast yesterday and heard Leo Laporte mention in passing that the last telegram was delivered, "a couple of months ago." A quick Google this morning confirmed that it was true. Western Union delivered its last telegram on Friday, January 27, 2006. The last 10 telegrams included birthday wishes, condolences on the death of a loved one, notification of an emergency and several people trying to be the last to send a telegram.

As one of the TWiT commentators noted, the most interesting thing about the story may be that it was virtually ignored by the public.

I think I sent one telegram in my life -- to my parents while I was in the Army. I don't remember ever receiving one.

No comments: