F H card letter b

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I got a letter yesterday

yes, I did, from the Hon. John E. Sununu, United States Senator of New Hampshire, in reply to my letter protesting his affirmative vote of H.R. 4411, aka the "Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2005."

I won't quote the entire letter here. Suffice to say that Senator Sununu recapped the history of the bill: Merger of Goodlatte's H.R. 4777 and Leach's 4411. On July 11, 2006, House passed 4411 by a vote of 317 to 93. During joint House/Senate session, proponents of 4411 inserted text from the bill into the so-called "SAFE Port Act "(H.R. 4954).

Sununu used the overwhelming need to pass the SAFE Port Act as the reason behind his support of the bill, and finished his letter with the notation that, "I will keep your concerns in mind should Congress consider any pertinent legislation during the remainder of the 109th Congress" and thanked me for sharing my views.

sigh. Not that I expected much more, but the letter is a typical example of noncommittal political rhetoric. I'd almost prefer to hear, "by God, somebody needed to protect you from yourself, you degenerate, you." But no, I'm left no wiser - except my suspicions of course - about whether Sununu is for or agin Internet gambling.

No comments: