F H card letter b

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Delta flight attendant suspended for photoblogging

"... But Delta may have a public relations problem here. Because really, when you have on one side a big, faceless corporate airline, with the usual flight delays and discomfort; and on the other a fun-loving, six-foot-tall blonde flight attendant in a short skirt, it's not hard to imagine where most people's sympathies will lie. Or at least most men's sympathies."

The sexism of that last sentence aside, Cathy's Seip's comments on the anonymous "Queen of the Sky's" suspension from Delta for posting, ah, "suggestive" photos of herself are an interesting read. According to "Queen of the Sky" (via the Seip's link)...

"I have found plenty of pics of MALE Delta employees on the Web in uniform, who actually identify their airline. Therefore, today I filed a discrimination complaint with the EEOC. They thought the whole suspension was ridiculous, too. The man that took my complaint and his supervisor did not find anything inappropriate about these pics. So I think I have a good case."

Maybe. I could be wrong, but I doubt if QotS found any pix of male Delta employees in cheesecake poses while in uniform, which, appropriate or not, is what QotS was posting, if the photo on Seip's site is representative. And I suspect that Delta has a policy about maintaining the airline's image while in uniform. Hell, when I was an American Airlines brat, the company had a policy about family members maintaining the company's image when flying.

In any case, it will be interesting to see where this goes and I'll try to keep my eye on it for follow-up.

No comments: